Friday, January 7, 2011

I'm a Caterer

Faithful husband and I were chatting a few days ago and I said something that later came back to me in a strange way.

"I won't cater to an alcoholic."

That's a good thing, right? I'm not going to go out of my way to make sure an alcoholic has what they think they need or what they want.

Later, as I was driving my van I realized...'but, I'll cater to a glutton!'

I'll go to the store and purchase all kinds of great food and follow whatever recipes are necessary for a feast. Sometimes I am sure a vomitorium would be a great thing...then we could just keep on eating that fabulous food. OK, I know that a vomitorium wasn't really for the purpose of vomiting, but you get my point.

Reality, gluttony is the act of eating and/or drinking immoderately.

As a society, we look down on alcoholics, but to the gluttons we lift our glasses and say, "Cheers!"

Both are a lack of self-control, which is a fruit of the Spirit, and both lead the body into slavery and misery. I want a life of freedom! I don't want a life controlled by fleshly desires.

I was, in my heart, being judgemental when I said that I wouldn't cater to an alcoholic (a glutton). I'm thankful that God let me see that, in reality, I do.

No comments: