Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Rest of God

~ Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Sabbath ~

"If I only had more time," is the mantra of our age. But is this the real problem? Author Mark Buchanan states that what we really need is "the rest of God - the rest God bestows and, with it, that part of Himself we can know only through stillness."

This book seeks to help us receive anew the gift of Sabbath, this day of rest and play and replenishment.

This is what I am currently reading. I'll let you know all about it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
I'm not sure if what I'm going to say is where the author is going or not---so I'll say it anyway. :o) He's probably being a tad more existential than I'm getting ready to be.

Anywho...

We started going to a church plant that meets on Sat. evenings. It's an awesome community and I'm hoping someday some of them will take the plunge and visit BT...I digress.

Due to meeting on Sat. evenings, our Sundays are AWESOME! Talk about a day of rest. It truly is one of the best days of the week.

Our family usually has a relaxing breakfast out somewhere (nothing fancy...Starbucks or Panera), we workout, we take naps, we also have our particular small group that meets on Sun. nights---called 'House Church (i love that!),' we just spend time together. It is so opposite of the crazy Sundays we used to subject ourselves to.

I love the whole Sabbath idea. A while ago I read Mudhouse Sabbath. A Jewish girl is writing about her conversion to Christianity and sharing some of the meaningful practices that Jews do that we as Christians haven't incorporated in our faith. It is very good!

That's my 2 cents. :o)

Jennifer Sheafer said...

Oh to have a real Sabbath day and a Sabbath heart! This book has a note from the author of Mudhouse Sabbath...I may read it next.

Thanks for your 2 cents...keep those pennies coming. :)